Is website having issues today. Navigation seems to be different but know I cannot seem to find my hold list, etc.
Thanks for asking! Today, Feb 8 2017, we're undergoing a migration to a new website. Over the course of the day you'll see changes affecting the catalog page first, then changes to the main page at omahalibrary.org. So for now, the issues you're seeing are the equivalent of an old "Under Construction" banner. Once the migration is complete the catalog will look and feel very similar to how it did before, so I don't think you'll have trouble finding your holds, etc. after that point.
Of course, there will be a learning process as we all adapt to the layout of the new website, but the change should bring some serious enhancements and new opportunities. In case other folks post similar questions today, I'll copy the text of a message from our website team:
Welcome to Omaha Public Library's new and improved website. After nearly seven years with our previous site, it was time for a change. OPL staff have been working diligently over the past several months to build a website that all omahalibrary.org visitors will enjoy. We know that change can be difficult. Take some time to explore the website and let us know what you think using the Website Feedback link in the bottom left corner of the homepage.
Technical challenges with our previous website pushed us to launch the new omahalibrary.org sooner than expected. What does this mean for you? The website is still being developed and you will likely recognize some changes along the way. The website development team is taking your feedback and using it to create a website that works best for our users. We appreciate your suggestions and patience during this period of construction.
In the meantime, these are some of our favorite features of the new website:
- It better reflects the way people search for and receive information.
- The website highlights what’s new at OPL and creates a more user-friendly experience.
- The new omahalibrary.org is more mobile-friendly.
- The new website will enable OPL staff to highlight collections, services and events.
- Patrons can move between different parts of the website with ease.
- Social media is integrated into the website. Even if you don’t have your own social media account, you can still connect with the library through its social media posts on the website.
- The new website shares curated parts of the collection.
- The most relevant information from OPL is featured upfront.
- The layout is much more visual.
- Fresh content can be featured easily in multiple places.
- It provides OPL with an opportunity to share our stories and the stories of our patrons.
Remember, this is a work in progress! Let us know what you think. We will work to make improvements that reflect the wants and needs of our community. Thank you!
Thanks again for asking, and thanks for using AskOPL. Please feel free to give us a call at 402-444-4800 for assistance while the work is ongoing, or anytime.