Skip to Questions

AskOPL - If you have questions, we have answers!


how do i file a unemployment claim

Last Updated: Dec 08, 2014  |  27 Views
Was this helpful? 0   0


Thanks for asking! It's not an easy process to get through, but the first website you're going to need is The link to the unemployment claim system is hidden under the little box "services for job seekers", click on "more services" and look for "Unemployment Services and Benefits." You'll end up creating a profile and resume on NEWORKS and entering your claim and work search information in that second part, the claim management system. 

If this will be your first time applying for unemployment, it's worth finding some help. The process will still be slow and hard, but at least it helps to have the chance to ask some basic questions. I'd encourage you to visit our Career Center on the lower level of the W. Dale Clark library at 215 S 15 St - most Wednesdays from 10am-2pm, but this week (12/10) it might be safer to say 12pm-2pm. Heartland Workforce Solutions is also a great resource that may have a location closer to you.

I'm going to copy part of the FAQ from the NE Dept. of Labor that will run down some of the ID and information that you may need to get your claim filed - the more you can round up in advance, the more you can get done at once. Thanks for your question, and feel free to call 402-444-4800 for more information.

How do I file for Unemployment Benefits on the Internet? 
You can file for unemployment benefits on the Internet by going to You should apply for unemployment insurance benefits immediately when your job has ended or your employer has reduced your work hours. Your unemployment insurance claim DOES NOT begin on the date your job ended or your hours were cut back. You must apply first. Claims start on the Sunday of the week you submit your unemployment insurance application.
Have the following items ready:

  • Social Security Number.
  • Name (including prior names, for example maiden or married names).
  • Complete home mailing address, including ZIP code.
  • Telephone number.
  • County you live in.
  • Driver's license number or ID card.
  • Employment authorization number and expiration date (if a non-citizen).
  • DD 214 Member #4 Form (if you served in the military in the past 18 months).
  • Be prepared to select your payment option, either debit card or direct deposit. If you select direct deposit, you will need your bank routing number and account number.
  • The company name for all your employers from the past 18 months as it appears on your paycheck stub or W-2 form. Complete mailing address for those employers, including ZIP code and the city in which the business is physically located.
  • Your start and end dates with each employer you worked for in the past 18 months including month, day, year.
  • Your total wages earned with each employer and how you were paid (hourly, weekly, monthly).
  • Your reason for leaving each of those employers (quit, fired, lack of work, leave of absence, etc.).
  • Be prepared to set a personal identification number (PIN).
Answered by Mark SorensenBookmark and Share

Other Answers / Comments (0)

    Browse by Popular Topics

    View All Topics

    Related content from Resource & Research Guides